The Senior Designer of T by and RTW Alexander Wang reports to Vice President of Apparel Design and leads direction on soft wovens product categories from conception to production.
Alexander Wang Corporate Office
New York, NY 10013
- Partner with Vice President of Apparel Design in creating seasonal color stories, initial fabrics selections, trims, print direction, treatments, and embellishments
- Initiate inspirational research that compliments the collection’s theme and is based on direction from VP of Apparel Design and Creative Director.
- Initiate concept and development on all soft wovens categories through sketching, draping, and swatch mockups in preparation for sketch review with Creative Director
- Present sketches, drapes, and ideas in an organized manner to both the VP of Apparel Design and Creative Director.
- Actively participate in styling and fit sessions
- Work closely with Fabric and Trim counterparts to develop/redevelop seasonal needs for collections
- Follow Line Plans to develop styles that cater to the needs of the business
- Work with Tech Design and in-house Patternmakers to ensure each style is executed with accuracy.
- Partner with Product Development to help Co-Manage factory communication when needed
- Partner with Sales and Merchandising teams regularly to review selling reports. Strategically analyze and integrate any informed knowledge/requirements in the subsequent and ongoing design assortment
- Direct Associate Designer and/or apprentices on developments, explorations, tasks or special projects requirements to facilitate needs of design process
- Oversee all related job responsibilities for the design team and help to manage timecard approvals as needed
- Encourage the associates to design product – to be creative and to support your needs to ensure strong items in each delivery from concept to production
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with the other design departments, Product Development, Production, Tech, Merchandising, Sales, Factories/Agents
- Head or participate in special projects as needed
Knowledge and Background Requirements Needed:
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Fashion Design or a related field
- 5 - 7 years of industry experience in cut and sew jersey and woven categories
- At least 4 years of experience in both development and production fittings
- Strong understanding of soft wovens fabrications, properties, and categories
- Excellent sense of color and print
- Understanding of pattern making and / or technical packages
- Proficient sewing skills
- Proficient in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong ability to hand sketch product on figures and flats
- Understanding of not only conceptual design but wardrobe-based design
- Strong ability to work with multiple cross-functional counterparts
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High ability to lead and direct
- Strong ability to manage 1 to 2 Assistant Designers